Rash's Surname Index
Notes for Clarence Clark ZANTZINGER
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clarence Clark Zantzinger (1872-1954) was an architect and public servant in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He was born in Philadelphia, the son of Alfred Zantzinger (1839-1873), a medical doctor who was born in Philadelphia to George Zantzinger, a grand-nephew of David Rittenhouse. Alfred, a volunteer surgeon with the First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry, married Sarah Crawford Clark in 1863. He died of typhoid in 1873.
Clarence attended private school in Germany, then St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire. He earned a degree in civil engineering at Yale University's Sheffield Scientific School in 1892 and his B.S. in Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania in 1895. He then spent two years at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, where he worked under Blondel and Grisors and graduated in 1901.
He returned to Philadelphia, set out his shingle, and was soon receiving commissions. By 1905, he and Charles L. Borie, Jr. (a fellow graduate of St. Paul's School) had launched a firm of their own with offices at 251 South 4th Street in Philadelphia. They were joined in 1910 by Milton Bennett Medary, and the firm was renamed Zantzinger, Borie & Medary, which specialized in institutional and civic projects.
In 1903, Zantzinger joined the American Institute of Architects; eight years later, the group made him a fellow. He served for years on the group's National Committee on Foreign Relations and Education; he also served as president of the Philadelphia chapter. Zantzinger was also a member of the T-Square Club; he directed its atelier and served on its education committee.
In 1917, Clarence Sr. became a diplomat: President Woodrow Wilson appointed Zantzinger to represent the U.S. on the War Trade Board in Sweden as a member of the U.S. legation in Stockholm.
He also served on the National Capital Parks and Planning Commission and as president of Philadelphia's City Parks Association.
In 1951, he retired from his firm, by then renamed Zantzinger & Borie.
1888-Clarence Clark Zantzinger was born in Philadelphia in 1872, the son of Dr. Alfred and Sarah Crawford Clark Zantzinger. He received his early education in Germany, was at St. Paul's from 1885 to 1887, and graduated from the Sheffield Scientific School in 1892 as a civil engineer. He studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, received a B.S. degree, then went to Paris, was awarded his diploma from the Ecole des Beaux Arts in 1901, and returned to Philadelphia to begin the practice of architecture. With Charles L. Borie, Senior, he formed the architects' firm of Zantzinger and Borie, in which Milton B. Medary later also became a partner. Mr. Zantzinger remained with this firm until 1951. With his partners or occasionally with other associates, he designed many important buildings, among them the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Indianapolis Public Library, the Department of Justice Building in Washington, D. C., the Public Administration Building at the University of Chicago, the Sheffield Scientific School Administration Building at Yale, several dormitories at Princeton, the Bryn Mawr Hospital Group and Nurses' Home, and St. Paul's Church in Chestnut Hill, Pa. His last work was the Memorial Carillon at the Valley Forge Chapel. In 1917, in the first World War, he was appointed by President Wilson Representative of the United States on the War Trade Board in Sweden, and was attached to the American Legation in Stockholm. He was a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects for over forty years, and as Mr. Charles Butler, '87, wrote in a letter published two years ago in the Alumni Horae, he was for a dozen or more years, beginning in about 1920, Chairman of that Institute's Committee on Education. This was a very active committee; it did much to foster the teaching of the arts in secondary schools as well as in colleges throughout this country. Among other undertakings that the committee carried out was the publication of a book, "The Significance of the Fine Arts". Mr. Zantzinger was President of the City Parks Association of Philadelphia, and he served a term on the National Capitol Parks and Planning Commission. He was a member of the National Art Jury, a former Chairman of the Pennsylvania State Art Commission, an Academician of the National Institute of Design, and an honorary member of the American Federation of Arts. He was elected to the National Institute of Arts and Letters in 1951. He was President of the Alliance Francaise of Philadelphia, Vice-President of the Comit?? Permanent International des Architectes, Member of the Soci??t?? des Architectes Diplom??s par le Gouvernement, and was active in the Beaux Arts Institute of Design. He was honored by the French Government with the Cross of the Legion of Honor, rank of Officier. Mr. Zantzinger died September 26, 1954. He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Shippen Buckley; by two sons, Clarence Clark Zantzinger, Jr., '22, and Alfred Zantzinger, '27; by two daughters, Mrs. Harry C. Groome, Jr. (wife of Harry C. Groome, Jr., '26) and Mrs. John Wister Wurts; and by eight grandchildren
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
Return to The Pennocks of Primitive Hall website.
The information in this database may contain errors. If you find any questionable data, or if you have something to add my findings, please feel free to e-mail me by clicking on the "E-MAIL" link above. Thank you!
Page built by Gedpage Version 2.21 ©2009 on 07 July 2020